Monday, July 9, 2018

Reflections on Solemn Assembly April 2018

In response to President Ballard's invitation to record thoughts or feelings during the April 2018 Solemn Assembly where Russell M. Nelson was sustained as the President of the Church, with Gerrit Gong and Ulysses Soares as newly called Apostles, I have written the following:

While I tend to think of the word "solemn" meaning "really serious" or something like that, the spirit or feeling associated with the "solemn" assembly seemed to reflect a different understanding of "solemn" than that.

The assembly was significant, it was formal, and it was serious, but I think "important" or "meaningful" would be a better way to describe the feeling for me. It wasn't overly burdensome or formalized. There was a pattern followed, and of course it was orderly.

There was a sense of anticipation, and of spiritual power, but not necessarily spiritual power that was present more than the sense that it was imminent for me, pointing to the ministry of President Russell M. Nelson.

There was a sense of great joy at the callings of Elders Gong and Soares.

There was a sense of great joy and unity as the Saints rose and individually committed, promised, or covenanted to sustain the First Presidency and the Quorum of the 12. There is something wonderful in a joint commitment, made willingly, that unlocks spiritual power.

I could certainly have been better prepared to be receptive to the Spirit. But it was a wonderful experience for me, and I'd like to think that my kids will also remember it. It helped me feel connected with the Church, and with the traditions of the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment